ATV-UTV Information

In December 2022, the Walworth County Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance related to the use of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and utility-terrain vehicles (UTVs) on Walworth County highways. The County’s ordinance specifies: 

  • If a city, town, or village has adopted a local ordinance allowing the use of ATVs and/or UTVs within their jurisdiction, as allowed under Wis. Stat. s. 23.33, then ATV and/or UTV use is also permitted on County highways within the municipality’s boundaries regardless of the posted speed limit.  
  • Any municipality that permits the use of ATVs and/or UTVs is responsible for posting the proper signage.  
  • ATVs/UTVs are only authorized on approved County highways between 5 a.m. and 11 p.m.  
  • The ordinance goes into effect on July 1, 2023. The additional time was requested in order to give residents and municipalities time to learn more about the new ordinance, restrictions, and signage requirements. 

View the map of authorized ATV/UTV routes

View the ATV/UTV route map brochure

Walworth County Municipalities Authorized ATV and/or UTV routes 

Information as of March 3, 2023. Always contact your local Municipality to confirm the most up-to-date information regarding ATV/UTV use. Click to view the Municipal Directory.

  • Town and Village of Bloomfield 
  • Town and Village of Darien 
  • City of Delavan
  • Town of East Troy 
  • Town of LaFayette
  • Town of Troy 
  • Town and Village of Sharon 
  • Town of Walworth 
  • Village of Walworth (UTV Only)
  • Town and City of Whitewater

DNR Safety Training Information 

Anyone operating an ATV/UTV on public riding areas--trails, frozen waters, routes, permitted county and/or forested lands--who is at least age 12 years of age and was born on or after January 1, 1988, must complete a safety certification course. ATV operators must carry their safety certification card and display it to law enforcement when requested.

Click this link for more DNR information

Helpful Tips For Riders 

ATV route sign

  • Know the local ATV/UTV ordinances. As ordinances are subject to change, contact your local municipality for the most up-to-date information.
  • Follow the ATV Route signs. Stay off the road if you don’t see ATV/UTV route signs.
  • Do not assume County roads are authorized unless the local municipality has posted signage. 
  • Know which roads are authorized and plan your route of travel ahead of time.

Types of Roads and ATV/UTV Laws

In order to understand where you can and can’t ride ATVs/UTVs, you should know the differences between the types of roads and what is allowed on each:  

  • Interstate Highway (I43).  No ATV/UTV operation is allowed.
  • State or US Highways: Controlled by the State of Wisconsin or Federal Government.  All state roads are numbered. Local cities, towns, or villages may enact an ordinance authorizing the operation of ATVs/UTVs on a state highway with a posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less that is located within the territorial boundaries of the municipality. State highways with speed limits over 35 miles per hour remain off-limits to ATV/UTV use unless approved by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and posted as ATV/UTV routes. 
  • County Roads/Highways: Controlled by Walworth County. All lettered roads are county roads. Examples are County Highways A, B, C, DD, H, etc. Authorization to drive ATV/UTVs on County roads is subject to municipal ordinances. 
  • Municipal Roads: The municipality controls and must post the designation of ATV/UTV routes on town, village and city roads.  All named roads are municipal roads.



Are all County Highways authorized for ATV/UTV use? 

No. Only those sections of County Highways that fall within the jurisdictional boundaries of municipalities that have ordinances permitting ATV/UTV use.

My town allows ATVs/UTVs but I do not see ATV Route signs posted on our sections of the County Highways. Are the County Highways authorized? 

All County Highways must be properly signed in order for you to ride your ATV/UTV on them. Contact your local municipality with questions regarding signage.