When is a Zoning Permit required?

A zoning permit is typically required for any construction, addition or alteration of any structure, within the County's jurisdiction, including but not limited to:

  • Carports
  • Decks
  • Dormers
  • New or Replacement Retaining Walls
  • Patios
  • Porches
  • Sheds
  • Shoreland Vegetation Removal or Grading
  • Shoreyard Stairs and Landings
  • Towers

A structure is defined as anything constructed or erected. Single Family Residences or other principle structures on a parcel, additions, roof alterations, accessory structures (greater than 100 square feet in size), and signs are included. 

Shoreyard Permits

In addition, in the shoreyard (75 feet from a lake or stream) permits are required for:

  • Boathouses
  • Patios
  • Retaining Walls
  • Stairways
  • Tree and Brush Removal

Additional Information

Please contact our office for an explanation of these regulations relative to these types of uses with the County's zoning jurisdiction.

Show All Answers

1. What Ordinances do Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management regulate?
2. When is a Zoning Permit required?
3. What if I am only replacing what is there, do I still need a zoning permit?
4. What is the process for applying for a zoning permit?
5. Is a zoning permit required for a fence?
6. Do I need a permit from the Walworth County Land Use and Resource Management Department for my construction, land disturbance or vegetation removal project?
7. Why does the County require an inspection or an updated survey be submitted even though the Building Inspector inspects the construction?
8. How do I find out what zoning district my property is zoned?
9. What areas are in the County’s zoning jurisdiction?
10. What Walworth County permits will I need to construct a single family residence?
11. When is the Zoning office open?
12. Do I need an appointment to apply for a permit?
13. Where is the Land Use and Resource Management Department located?
14. Where can I obtain my tax key number?
15. Where can I find the legal description of my property?
16. Do I need a permit to cut/remove trees on my property?
17. Can I store unlicensed and/or inoperable vehicles on my property?
18. Do I need approval to operate a home occupation from my residential property?
19. Is more than one dwelling unit allowed on a property?
20. Can I have an in-law unit or a guest house on my property?
21. Can I have a mobile home on my property?
22. Does the County issue permits for piers and other structures placed on the bed of a water body?
23. Can I have a boathouse on my property?
24. How many accessory structures can I have on my property?
25. I have a vacant piece of land. Can I construct an accessory structure, without a residence, on the parcel?
26. Can I have horses on my property?
27. What if I have a sub-standard lot or structure?
28. What if I have a legal non-conforming structure?
29. Who do I contact for regulations governing land divisions (subdivisions and certified survey maps)?
30. I want to build a pond. Do I need a County Permit?