Do I need an attorney to go through probate?

The personal representative must be represented by an attorney if formal probate is filed. The Wisconsin Legislature created a procedure for probating a decedent's solely owned property as well as property in which he had a joint tenancy interest in an informal manner without the necessity of processing the probate through the court and without the necessity of an attorney, if certain conditions are met. You may use an attorney, as needed, at any time during informal probate. 

At any point in informal administration, you can ask the court to switch from an informal to a formal. The Registrar can also ask the court to switch to a formal, and you would then be required to retain an attorney. The Probate Registrar can answer questions on preparation of forms but cannot give legal advice.

Show All Answers

1. What is Probate?
2. I have an original will of a relative who just passed away. There are no assets that require probate. What do I do with the original will?
3. What is the filing fee for probate?
4. What is the difference between being named a personal representative or an executor?
5. How do I search genealogy records?
6. What is the cost for doing a probate search?
7. What is the cost for obtaining a certified copy of a document?
8. How much do you charge for copies?
9. Do you give hearing dates out for probate/guardianship pleadings before they are filed?
10. How do I file a claim?
11. I have a relative who died owning less than $50,000 in solely owned property, do I need to file a probate?
12. I have been appointed personal representative/executor for the estate of my uncle, who was an Illinois resident. My uncle owned a piece of real estate in Walworth County. What do I need to do?
13. Do I need an attorney to go through probate?
14. Does all of the decedent's property go through probate?
15. Is a personal representative paid for his job?
16. Can I get informal forms on the internet?
17. How do I go about collecting proceeds from a life insurance policy from the decedent?
18. I had power of attorney for my loved one who just passed away. Can I still manage his/her affairs?
19. How do I transfer a motor vehicle?
20. Who are the heirs?
21. When are the annual reports for guardians and trustees due?
22. I lost my annual report form. Can I get a new one?
23. I am a co-guardian/co-trustee. Do both guardians/trustees need to sign the annual report?
24. Do I need to show the Court proof of assets listed on page 3 of the accounting?
25. Do I need to send a copy of my annual report to Walworth County Human Services?