What help can the Register of Deeds office provide for drafting real estate documents?

The Register of Deeds office is charged with the duty of being an independent custodian of records relating to real estate. As such, the only area in which we can offer assistance is with general processing questions. We cannot assist you with the actual drafting of documents. We highly recommend that you obtain legal counsel for these transactions.

Although several legal documents have been developed into fill-in-the-blank style forms and appear to be very easily completed, it is the answers to those fill-in-the-blank questions that are critically important. The appropriate answers can vary widely from person to person. Determining the correct answer for your situation constitutes legal advice. We are not licensed to practice real estate law. Furthermore, our role as custodian of the records prohibits us from assisting in the creation of the records.

Show All Answers

1. How can I obtain Birth and Marriage Certificates for the REAL ID?
2. What help can the Register of Deeds office provide for drafting real estate documents?
3. I have been told I need to get a legal description of my property. Where may I obtain one?
4. I paid off a Federal Income Tax Lien, but it still appears on my credit report. Why?
5. We recently paid off the mortgage on our home. When will we get a new deed showing that we no longer owe the bank anything?
6. I am considering purchasing a parcel of real estate. How can I find out what liens, if any, have been filed against it?
7. Can I do my own title search?
8. Can the Register of Deeds tell me if I have clear title?
9. How do I change my deed so that it reflects my married name?
10. If one trustee of a trust dies, is it necessary to take any immediate action?
11. If I purchase property that is from a larger parcel that is being split, will I receive a tax bill?