I have a tenant I want to evict. How do I do this?

Please see section 704.14 and section 704.21 regarding legal notice to vacate the premises. After proper notice to vacate has been given the tenant, the landlord may start an eviction action. Proof of service of proper notice must be filed upon commencing an action. The landlord should produce a written lease if one exists. The tenant should have receipts of canceled checks if their defense is based on payment. Photographs regarding the condition of the premises may also be helpful.

Effective June 10, 2020, through August 31, 2020, a Declaration of CARES Act Verification must be filed on all eviction actions.  Failure to do so will result in either a dismissal of the action or a continuance by the Court in order to gain compliance.

Show All Answers

1. How do I file a small claims action?
2. Where do I get forms to file a Small Claims Action?
3. What information must I have to file a Small Claims Action? What happens on the day I come in to start my case?
4. How do I obtain service on a small claims Summons and Complaint?
5. How far in advance of my court date must the defendant be served?
6. What happens if the defendant cannot be personally served?
7. What judge will hear my case?
8. Must the defendant appear for the court date?
9. What happens if the plaintiff doesn't appear on the court date?
10. What will happen at court?
11. How do I get a trial before the Circuit Court Judge?
12. What must be included in the "Demand for Trial" form?
13. I have a tenant I want to evict. How do I do this?
14. What is a judgment?
15. How do I obtain a judgment in small claims?
16. How do I enforce a judgment?